Thursday, January 15, 2009

Jordan Who?

Hi everyone, my name is Jordan Edwards. Here are my attempts at answers to some basic questions.

1. What do you do?

I am currently a sophomore at the Columbus College of Art & Design majoring in Graphic Design and Advertising. I am minoring in Copyrighting and Art History. Aside from schoolwork, I find myself doing a wide array of branding related work as well as web and print design. When not immersed in pixels, I enjoy working in graphite and colored pencil.

2. Where do you come from?
I was born and raised in Central Ohio (Delaware, to be exact) so the choice to attend CCAD came pretty easily for me. Columbus served as a second home for me growing up with many aunts, uncles, cousins and other obscure relatives living just outside the outerbelt.

3. Most influential.. books, movies, music, plays, poems, photos, artists?
It's no secret that I am an obsessive fan of the Harry Potter series. I've read (and reread) the books countless times and the movies play on an almost-constant loop while I'm working. Of course, that means I also enjoy the Potter movies but I also enjoy action-based and sci-fi films. I have come to appreciate the art of film making more and more while attending CCAD so I'll see just about anything (that doesn't mean I'll enjoy it, though).

I believe that I am most influenced by stories that wrap you in layer after layer of detail. For me, back-story and mythology are key because it gives my obsessive brain something to grip on to after the credits roll or I've turned the final page. I like to think this love of detail comes across in my art as well. I try to stretch an identity to the far reaches of the company, branding anything that will stand still long enough, and in graphite I tend to render (some say over-render) as meticulously as the deadlines will allow.

4. Does your work have a consistent message?
I try not to "preach" with my artwork. Message-based art is great for some but it's not for me. My pieces tend to be straightforward and to-the-point. Any deeper meaning is oftentimes found after the fact and treated like an added bonus.

5. Does your cultural/ background influence your work?
My background consists mainly of old, white men arguing about religion and politics so you can imagine why I refrain from letting it influence too much. Personally, I prefer things clean-cut and simple. One could say this preference comes from being raised to clean up my messes.

6. What are you addicted to?
As of right now, I am addicted to LOST (see Question 2, paragraph 2 for the reasoning).

7. Earliest exposure to art?
From as far back as I can remember I've wanted to be an artist. I remember watching the animators working on The Lion King during my first-ever trip to Disney World. I'm sure that played some part in my eventual career choice.

I was always the kid who preferred rainy days because I could draw during inside recess.

8. What tools/mediums do you want to work with but haven't yet?
I think sculpture is fascinating. I've always admired people who can think in three dimensions. I would love to work with clay or something of the like.

9. Have you been commissioned? If so, for who and what?
Most of my commissions have been for brand related projects. I worked with the Administration of the Buckeye Valley Local School District to develop a new brand identity (including logo and extensive web design). I've also done work for The Central Ohio Symphony creating a new branding solution for their 30th season. I recently began working with Campus Apartments (based out of Philadelphia) to develop branding and signage solutions for their Seneca building in Downtown Columbus.

10. Besides art, what do you do?
Sleep. It's a rare things for CCAD students but when I get the chance I'm on it.
You might also find me playing the saxophone with some friends at local coffee shops, enjoying a burrito at Chipotle or watching entire seasons of LOST in single sittings.

No comments:

Post a Comment