Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Interview with Tyrassic aka Tyler Colton Bolyard

1. What do you do?
I'm a Sophomore Illustration student. My background is mostly in fine art as a painter, because I love working with oils, although my second love is graphite. Lately, I've been getting more and more into digital painting, because it is the industry standard in the concept industry, which I plan to obtain a career in. I also love sculpting and matte painting, and want to do more of it in the near future.

2. Where do you come from?
I was born and lived in Amherst, Ohio in my early years, but since the 3rd grade I have lived in Milan, Ohio. Milan is a small town near Sandusky, and is the birthplace of Thomas Edison. I graduated from Edison High School and then went on to attend the Cleveland Institute of Art (CIA) for one semester before transferring to CCAD.

3. Most influencial.. books, movies, music, plays, poems, photos, artists?
Books are very influential to me and to my work. I have an ever expanding library of art books that I go to for ideas all the time. Some of my favorites include: Three Dimensional Drawing, Dynamic Figure Drawing, Anatomy for Fantasy Artists, Animal Anatomy, The Art of Star Wars Series, Bold Visions, In the future, and the Secret Life of Salvador Dali.
Any type of sci fi and/or fantasy movies I enjoy watching.
My music is also very influential in my work with an itunes library of over 10,000 songs, I'm usually always listening to something while working.
Some of my favorite and most inspirational artists include, in the order than I think of them: Salvador Dali, Norman Rockwell, Winslow Homer, Ryan Church, Peter Chan, Keith Thompson, Alex Pardee, Aaron Horkey, Audrey Kawasaki, Iain McCaig, Greg Simkins, Christian Alzmann, Chet Zar, Muttonhead, Travis Louie, Puddnhead, Carlos Huante, Colin Fix, Dermont Power, Mike Correrio, Peter Konig, Wesley Burt, Dan Milligan, Justin Kaufman, William Whitaker, Shawn Barber, Marko Djurdjevic, Jason Manley, Rick Baker, Bobby Chui, Matthew Archambault, Jordu Schell.....

4. Does your work have a consistent message?
Not really, most of my pieces have different meanings or messages for different reasons.

5. Does your cultural/ background influence your work?
No I come from a town in the middle of nowhere, not much to be inspired from haha.

6. What are you addicted to?
I'm currently addicted to eating Nutella, Pizza, and mocha frappuccinos. I'm also addicted to vegging out on conceptart.org, blogger, and ImagineFX.

7. Earliest Exposure to art?
I would say middle school, we took a trip the the Toledo Museum of Art and was mesmerized from then on.

8. What tools/mediums do you want to work with but haven't yet?
Special make up effects. I love creature and character design for movies and am always reading up about it. I want to get more into traditional and digital sculpting and modeling as well as possibly mask making and animatronics.

9. Have you been commissioned. if so, for who and what?
Yes. I am currently working on a project for a Columbus company called Comtex. They commissioned me to do an oil painting to be displayed in their new expansion that is to be revealed this April. The painting is to be done on a 5'x10' canvas that I constructed. I have also been commissioned in the past to do graphite portraits for various people.

10. Besides art, what do you do?
When I have the time I play guitar, skateboard, snowboard, golf, and relax with friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment