Tuesday, January 13, 2009

10 Questions with Steve Vanscoy

1. What do you do?

Right now I'm a sophomore at CCAD majoring in Advertising and Graphic Design and minoring in Media Studies but I'm focusing on the photography portion. Photography is my main hobby when I'm not busy staring at Adobe products. I'm also into music a whole lot and I really enjoy singing and playing my guitar.

2. Where do you come from?

I hail from a small city suburb of Akron, Ohio called Tallmadge. It's a very calm city and really doesn't have a whole lot of interesting places to visit. It's pretty typical, but it was a nice place to grow up.

3. Most influential.. books, movies, music, plays, poems, photos, artists?

Music is really influential for me, I usually enjoy classical music or acoustic folk music to listen to when I'm working. Also, when it comes to the type of art I create, I'm very influenced by what I see around in magazines and the web and what comes from my peers.

4. Does your work have a consistent message?

I'm not sure if there is a consistent message to my work, a lot of what I do depends on my mood or if I'm trying out something new.

5. Does your cultural/ background influence your work?

I don't really have a rich cultural background other than some Native American and I don't really take influence from it so I'm not sure that I can say there's any influence from my background. There might be some psychological influences though. My mom was really big on cleanliness when I was growing up and I love doing very clean minimalistic work.

6. What are you addicted to?

In terms of life or art? In life I'm addicted to cigarettes. In art I'm addicted to illustrators (I'm pretty envious of their abilities), typography and pen and ink.

7. Earliest exposure to art?

I've always had some type of exposure to art. My great grandfather was a painter, and I remember when I was just a wee child my mom and I would sit down together in the living room and draw still lifes.

8. What tools/mediums do you want to work with but haven't yet?

Well, off the top of my head I can't think of any mediums that I want to work with but haven't. I would, however, love to up my skills in digital painting and water colors.

9. Have you been commissioned. if so, for who and what?

I've not really been commissioned for much, but I've done some corporate photography work, I also have a wedding to shoot set up for September and I'm currently designing a logo for a coal mining company in Montana.

10. Besides art, what do you do?

Other than art I just live. School and in turn art pretty much consumes me you know?

No comments:

Post a Comment